“Our mouth is the entrance to the entire body”
It is imperative to keep your mouth clean. Good and bad organisms reside in our mouths. In order to keep the bad microorganisms at bay, regular oral hygiene and yearly dental cleanings are important.
We at Peach Smiles, an affordable Lawrenceville dentist recommend coming to get a cleaning twice a year.
At these visits, our hygienists are trained to notice any periodontal diseases or suspicious lesions. We also advise more regular visits to our office if you are diagnosed with periodontal disease like 3-4 months.
The cleanings will not only reset your oral hygiene, but it will allow you to prolong your healthy teeth and reduce chances of diseases.
Our ultimate goal at Peach Smiles is to keep patients mouths healthy and educate patients on good oral hygiene.
Occurrences from poor oral hygiene
· Formation of cavities
· Bad breath
· Gum soreness and ulcer formations
· Loss of teeth- Once the surround supporting tissue including the bones begins to detach, the teeth then begin to loosen and eventual lead to extractions.
· Periodontal disease- Involves bone loss and gum attachment loss.
· Problems in other parts of the body- In patients with heart valve replacement, keeping a clean mouth is important. If the infection or decay from the teeth enter the blood stream, they can be implanted on the heart valves and lead to life threatening diseases, such as endocarditis.
Reasons for a Teeth cleaning
· To establish good overall health
· To maintain health of prosthesis such as crowns and bridges
· To detect for any abnormal cancerous lesions
· Prevent any decay and cavities formation
· To ensure a good and healthy smile
· To reinforce the oral hygiene maintenance at home
· Prevent any periodontal diseases
Type of cleanings
· A preventive measure for healthy individuals who have good oral hygiene. Any bleeding seen is known as gingivitis. Reestablishing proper oral care can eliminate bleeding and inflammation.
· Large amounts of plaque and calculus around the teeth can cause inflammation of the gums. Individuals with gingival or periodontal disease are at risk for such accumulations. Probing depth readings can be collected better through debridement, therefore allowing the hygienist to get a better picture of the health of the gums.
Scale and polish
· As a follow up treatment to debridement, the hygienist can reach the plaque and calculus beneath the gums easier with instruments. Following the cleaning, patients can properly clean at home.
· Patients with varying degrees of periodontal diseases can benefit from root planning also called “deep cleaning.” The root surfaces are cleaned by reaching further within the gums. In cases of severe inflammation and infection, antibiotics, such as doxycycline will be placed in the gums to help treat the periodontal disease.
· Performed every three months in patients with periodontal disease. The regular visits are necessary in order to maintain and assure the gums gradually return to a proper tooth attachment. Also called as Periodontal Maintenance.
Oral hygiene instructions
· Brushing twice a day with soft bristle brushes are recommended.
· Electric toothbrushes are beneficial over conventional toothbrushes.
· For flossing, use a regular string floss or handle flossers. Guide the floss between the teeth and tease it back out while the floss hugs each side of the tooth.
· Special flosses called super floss available to help clean around the bridge and crowns.
· Mouthwashes like Listerine or Crest Pro-health are recommended.
· To eliminate bad breath, use a tongue cleaner or tooth brushes attached with a tongue cleaner.
· Inter-dental brushes are available for larger areas between teeth.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT TEETH CLEANING
Q. Where can I get my teeth cleaned in Lawrenceville?
Peach Smiles is conveniently located in Lawrenceville on Sugarloaf Parkway, next to Starbucks and offers all kinds of teeth cleaning.
Q. What is the cost of teeth cleaning without dental insurance?
Peach Smiles offers membership plans and 30-50% off on all the dental services including teeth cleaning. Peach Smiles is a premium dental office providing affordable dentistry to Lawrenceville and surrounding cities.
Q. What is the cost of teeth cleaning with dental Insurance?
Peach Smiles accepts most dental insurances so you get the best price for teeth cleaning at our office in Lawrenceville. Our insurance coordinator will get your benefits from Insurance and maximize your dental benefits.
Q. Do I need pre-medication prior to a cleaning?
Only in cases of heart valve replacements, mitral valve prolapses with regurgitation, or history of endocarditis would you need to take prophylactic dose of antibiotics.
Q. How long do most cleanings last?
Depending on the type of cleaning you are getting, the appointment time can vary from 30-90 minutes.
Q. Why do I need to floss?
Flossing achieves what brushing does not, cleaning between the teeth. Plaque and calculus that does remains can eventually lead to more bacteria inoculation and cavity formation. By using floss, you ensure that all the surfaces of the tooth will be clean.
Q. What is so important about fluoride?
A mineral found in toothpastes, food (i.e. canned fish, brewed tea, cooked kale or apples) and tap water able to prevent acid attack of bacteria on the enamel of teeth. Supplemental fluoride is not for everyone. It depends on how much fluoride is in the tap water in your area. The fluoride helps reduce the chances of decay formation.
Q. What are sealants?
Sealants are materials used for preventive measures in deep fissures and grooves on the chewing surfaces of the teeth. They are mainly done on children whose permanent molars begin to erupt.